The death of a loved one can be difficult to handle, regardless of the circumstances. Grief over a loved one’s demise can cause you to feel disoriented, isolated and confused, making it essential that you find a means of coping with your loss.
In recent times, gaming has been used as a tool to help people deal with grief after losing someone they love. Although no video game can make grief magically disappear, games have been designed to alleviate the emotional trauma of death, making it easier for you to talk about your feelings, come to terms with your situation and find closure.
Effectiveness of Video Games When Dealing with Grief
Video games that simulate reality are the most effective, as you actively participate in the story. The following list of games falls under that category. These games can help both people suffering from loss and those seeking to understand how others feel when a loved one passes on.
1. Depression Quest: In this text-based video game, you play a 20+, middle-class individual suffering from depression. Your experiences in the game are meant to help you explore ways to find peace and clarity.
2. That Dragon, Cancer: This game depicts the journey of Ryan Green, the game’s creator, and his family as his youngest son battles cancer. The game’s goal is to help people find hope when facing inescapable loss.
3. Journey: Journey explores themes of spirituality and death. While playing, you’re able to see avatars of other players like silent spirits playing alongside you. The game encourages players, despite being strangers, to help one another in reaching their goal. Many have found Journey to be a liberating experience as it provides a new perspective in viewing loss.
4. Machine Cares: In this game, you assume the role of a young teen who has recently moved into a new house only to discover its previous tenant had committed suicide. Throughout the game, you meet and engage with other residents and experience the effects of death on their lives.
5. Continue? 9876543210: In this game, you are a deceased avatar trapped in the depths of limbo within your PC hard drive. Your goal is to escape being permanently erased from the system.
6. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons: This game was designed to help bond families together through learning how to share their grief. The story involves two brothers, Naiee and Naia, in their quest to save their sick father after their mother’s death. The brothers have to travel to the Tree of Life to retrieve its healing waters in order to save their father. The game requires that you control both brothers by using both hands simultaneously. In the process, you have to overcome grief, resolve problems and assist others along the way.
Schoedinger Funeral and Cremation Services Can Help
At Schoedinger Funeral and Cremation Services, we recognize the importance of overcoming the emotional trauma of losing a loved one and moving on. Our professional counseling services are available to those in need. For more information on grief counseling, call us today at 614-224-6105.